The Taylor's Island Foundation - Preserving "A Place to Enjoy"
- Julie Ben-Susan
- Barbara "Buzz" Clark
- P.A.T. Hunt
- Alfred Kilb, Jr.
- Maryann Koch
- Harriet O'Halloran
- Jim Polychron
In March 2006, The Taylor's Island Committee, with the pro bono help of Edward Shillingburg, began the process of creating the Taylor's Island Foundation to assist the Town with fundraising for the restoration and preservation of the Smith-Taylor Cabin. Supervisor Alfred Kilb, Jr. and the Shelter Island Town Board voted to support the creation of the Foundation, as reported in the Shelter Island Reporter. The Foundation was incorporated on May 30th as a 501(c)(3) corporation.
Since its creation the Taylor's Island Foundation has:
- Replaced both the porch deck and porch roof on the Smith-Taylor Cabin.
- Assisted the town in creating the Historic Structure Report.
- Assisted the town in applying for a permit with the DEC.
- Hosted benefit events, including docent tours and overnight stays.
- Assisted in the replacement of the bulkheads.
- Received the gift of a Boston Whaler from Marion Brownlee
The Taylor's Island Preservation and Management Committee
Working with the Committee, our Town has:
- Replaced the Island's two critical bulkheads
- Received a $110,600 matching grant for the Cabin
- Installed an electric generator at the Cabin
- Received a grant for the Historic Structure Report
- Signed a lease with the Taylor's Island Foundation
- Ed Brown, Town Liaison
- Barbara "Buzz" Clark
- Keith Clark
- Carol Galligan
- Kathy Gooding
- P.A.T. Hunt, Co-Chair
- Steve Lenox
- Richie Surozenski, Co-Chair
The Taylor's Island Preservation and Management Committee, created in 2005, exists as an official Town Committee to advise the Shelter Island Town Board on the preservation and use of Taylor's Island. The Committee meets at Town Hall at 9:00 A.M. on the second Tuesday of every month.
The Town adopted its Parks Master Plan in 2006 listing Taylor's Island as the number one park priority.
Join Taylor's Island's Volunteers
as part of the porch restoration.
All of the restoration projects on Taylor's Island have been made possible, in part, by the generous contributions from our community.
Our annual events are made possible by the all volunteer crews who transport the guests, prepare the food, and set up the Island. Please volunteer your time and talent to Taylor's Island.